Sunday, February 24, 2008

Breaking--Zamboni explosion?!

I just tuned into the Penguins/Sharks game, which is only just now starting, 30 mins late, because of what the announcers are casually referring to as "the zamboni explosion at center ice." I can't find anything about this on TSN.com or NHL.com.

My brain hurts.

UPDATE: In the meanwhile, footage of a zamboni fire, also in Pennsylvania, from December. I call that suspicious.

UPDATE 2: Now they are backtracking and calling it "the zamboni breaking down at center ice". Breaking down is most sincerely not the same thing as exploding. For example, the latter usually involves a loud bang. Which is it, people?

(Also, apparently Sidney Crosby is powered by some sort of perpetual motor, according to these same announcers, but how can I believe anything they say now?)

SIDENOTE: Googling "zamboni explosion" comes up with an alarmingly high number of hits.

FINAL UPDATE: Well, according to the Canadian Press, the zamboni slid out to center ice, leaked a whole bunch of transmission fluid, and then they had to clean up the mess. What a rip. I guess Crosby deprivation has made the announcers light-headed and prone to hallucinations. Just ask Evgeny "Not Crosby" Malkin.

4 comments:

jesse r said...

Also, apparently Sidney Crosby is powered by some sort of perpetual motor

Yeah, I heard that most of the eastern seaboard's electricity is generated from the Crosby perpetual motor.

Louisa said...

What a letdown. A proper zamboni explosion might help hockey ratings in the US.

AJ said...

A zamboni leaking transmission fluid is nowhere near as exciting as a zamboni fire or a zamboni explosion. Not even close.

In other sports vehicle news, I think they should reinstate the bullpen baseball car. I miss it.

Unknown said...

The term Zamboni Explosion is so exciting. I start having flashed of every car blowing up in some blockbuster. The zamboni explosion makes me perhaps makes me too gleeful.