Thursday, July 31, 2008

Too much upheaval makes marriedtotheoil's brain hurt




Well I'm clearly late to the "OMG KLowe!" party, but seriously, today has been an exhausting news cycle for this Oil and Bosox fan. An unusually productive day meant no internet for me, so it was an accomplishment not to destroy dinner in confusion as D tried to catch me up the news when he got home. Then, as I'm trying to make sense of that, I discover that apparently the Red Sox don't want to go to the playoffs this year after all, as they have traded three players, including MANNY RAMIREZ for some dude named Jason Bay.

Thanks to hockey and graduate school snatching a fair chunk of my time, I'm not quite as obsessively detailed in my knowledge of the MLB as I used to be, but I seriously have no idea who this guy is. Something makes me doubt he's a functional replacement for Manny Ramirez, even if he's statistically likely to bring less drama and distraction.

I'm too tired to post-mortem this yet, but I am fascinated that as it frequently seems to happen, there is an Oilers connection, beyond both teams having a high-turmoil day. According to Boston.com, this Bay guy is good buddies with "fellow Trail native and Edmonton Oilers center Shawn Horcoff".

This is really all that's keeping me from sniffling softly into my peanuts and crackerjack right now.

4 comments:

jesse r said...

Wow, it's like Trail natives are taking over your whole sports-related life.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
faux rumors said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
R-Gib said...

Hi there Married, sorry to leave a comment on something soooo far back in the past, but I just found your blog and was checking it out.

Sorry to hear about your Manny... but as you've probably already figured out: this Kootenay kid named Jason Bay is a stud. A stud to end all duds. Hope you're happy now. If not then send him to the Jays, would you please?

And BTW Scorecoff was raised in Castlegar BC... it just says born in Trail bcs THATs where the hospital happens to be! I saw him go off on a bit of a rant to explain the above info in an interview with Scott Oake (CBC) a few years back. Sure was funny...